Thursday, October 30, 2008

Athletic Youth Nutrition

I am really excited about next week.

I have been invited to do a pre/post nutrition competition segment
for youths for a CBC show called Living Halifax.

This is a little snippet of what I will be covering.

It has been long believed that "Carb Loading" was what you had to
do to get energy before a big game.

So the big plate of pasta became a staple.

Turns out it is not entirely accurate.

Grazing is better. Sipping a Carbohydrate/electrolyte mix after a
standard sized meal will boost energy.

So depending on the time of day your meals will be standard sized.
No gigantic meal before a game.

Graze, sip your drink and avoid foods that are heavy in fats.

And take advantage of the breaks to sip more carb/electrolyte drink
during timeouts and at halftime.

If you have any more questions please let me know. I love to help
young athletes perform at their highest level!

No comments: